Dutch silver caster

About This Project

Dutch silver caster

 

Johannes du Vignon III

The Hague, 1706

217 grams; ca. 14,7 cm high

 

The baluster-shaped caster with gadroons is engraved with a family coats-of-arms under a crown. The high-domed pierced cover has a bell-shaped finial. Fully marked at the reverse of the body and displaying assay stripes at the interior of the neck and at the interior of the cover. 

 

The engraved family coats-of-arms are those of Ernst Hendrik van Ittersum (1669-1733), Heer van Oosterhof, Bevervoorde and Boxbergen and Maria Clara Charlotte du Faget van Assendelft (1676-1710), who married in The Hague on 19 March 1702.

 

Ernst Hendrik van Ittersum, who was baptised in Amsterdam on 22 July 1672, was ‘praebendaris of the ‘Commanderij van Ootmarsum’ (German Order) 1677, Page, Captain with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel 1684-1702, ‘Edelman en Vendrich (Ensign) van de guardes’ of Stadholder-King Willem III, Capitain of the King’s guards 1699, ‘Gecommitteerde’ of the States General 1706-1711 and Envoy of the Prince-Bishop of Munster. The couple lived at the Oosterhof estate. However, because of his estate Boxbergen he became a member of the Knighthood of Overijssel in 1696. In 1718 Ernst Hendrik van Ittersum remarried. Anna Margaretha des Marets (1678-1751) became his spouse.

 

The silversmith

Johannes du Vignon III was a member of a silversmiths’ family. His grandfather, who came from Brussels, and his father, both called Johannes, were also master gold and silversmiths in The Hague. Johannes du Vignon III was born on 13 June 1660, son of Johannes du Vignon II and Barbara Vonck. On 24 May 1683 he was registered at the Hague silversmiths’ guild as a master. He married Geertruyt Westerstee in 1685. In 1707 he married for the second time. Henrietta van Ham became his spouse then. In 1726 and 1735 he was appointed Dean of the Hague silversmiths’ guild. He received many important commissions, for example from Eglise Walonne, the Walloon Church in The Hague, for a silver communion set, from the Walloon congregation in Den Briel (later The Dutch Reformed Church) and from the States General. In 1737 he succeeded buying a house, south of Molenstraat in The Hague. Johannes du Vignon diseased on 3 March 1746.

 

For more information, click here